HomeAbout UsHistoryAnnouncementsPublicationsMarkersNewsContact Us

Insert Headline
Insert text here.
Karsner Air Field: Site of Karsner Air Field, built after WWII. Owner & operator, Harry Clark Karsner, a flight instructor during the war, brought aviation to Owen County. A neon sign on Karsner's 4-plane hanger proclaimed: Christ is the Answer. He took this message to the sky broadcasting sermons from the air. Harry Clark Karsner (1914-1971) served Owen Co. as a magistrate, the director of First Farmers Bank, Owen County Board of Education, deacon Old Cedar Baptist Church, and served as state Aeronautics Commissioner. He flew his "Gospel Plane", broadcasting recorded sermons over Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio. Location of Marker: Intersection of U.S. 127 and Ky 607 (Claxon Ridge Rd) near Old Cedar Baptist Church. GPS(38.3972 -84.8501)
George Washington's Guard: 3rd Corp. Henry Sparks (1753-1836) was Revolutionary War soldier from Virginia; served with Commander-in-Chief's Guard, "the flower and pick of American army." While with this bodyguard Sparks fought at the battles of Brandywine and Germantown. Discharged at Valley Forge in 1778. Came to Kentucky, 1795, settled in present Owen Co., 1800. Buried at Sparks Bottom. Location of Marker: intersection of US 127, Monterey Pike and Old Frankfort Pike, at entrance to Monterey Cemetery. GPS(38.4210 -84.8657)
Captain Samuel Sanders 1813-1902: Samuel Sanders, a steamboat captain before and after the Civil War, braved the Kentucky River under occasional sniper fire from the Confederate army to bring supplies from Louisville to Monterey and up the Kentucky River to Shaker Landing. Location of Marker: intersection of US 127, Monterey Pike and Old Frankfort Pike at entrance to Monterey Cemetery. GPS(38.4210 -84.8657)
Monterey: First named Williamsburg for James Williams, who came from Maryland, set up trading post about 1805. In 1847, legislature established town of Monterey, named for battle of Mexican War, on land owned by George C. Branham. Steamboats, in heyday on Ky. River, made regular stops at town wharf for passengers and cargo. Large tobacco market. Showboats visited town in summer. Location of Marker: corner of Taylor and Worth Streets. GPS(38.4216 -84.8723)
Vice Admiral Willis A. "Mose" Lee Jr.: Lee was born on May 11, 1888, in Owen County. In 1904, he entered the US Naval Academy. He earned a position on the Navy Rifle Team and eventually the National Rifle Team. Lee graduated in 1908 and served as an inspector of ordnance. While representing the Navy, he competed for the US Rifle Team in the 1920 Olympics in Belgium, where he won five gold medals for marksmanship. He was a commanding officer of three destroyers during the 1920's. During the 1930's and early 1940's, Lee was assigned to the Fleet Training Division and commanded the light cruiser Concord. In August 1942, he was sent to the Pacific to command a battleship division. On November 14-15, Lee and his crew on the USS Washington sunk five Japanese ships in the battle of Guadalcanal, a turning point for the Allied Forces, for which he earned the Navy Cross. He suffered a heart attack and died on August 25, 1945, while serving in the Atlantic. Location of Marker: Owen County Courthouse lawn. 100 N. Thomas Street, Owenton. GPS(38.5362 -84.8374)

Jacob Hunter: This Rev. War soldier entered U.S. service from Boone's Station, 1780. Served as garrison guard there and as Indian spy under Geo. Rogers Clark on raids at Old Chillicothe and Pique. Marched with Benj. Logan to reinforce troops at Blue Licks; joined survivors of battle to bury the dead. Moved to Owen County circa 1817. Hunter lived on Big Twin Creek; died and buried there, 1856. Location of Marker: Owenton Cemetery, US 127 Owenton, Kentucky.
First Rural Electric in County: Gov. A. B. Chandler threw switch at New Liberty Substation, Jan. 29, 1938, to energize some 130 mi. and brought electricity to 370 homes and businesses by Dec. Owen Co. R.E.C.C. now includes 9 counties. Charter members, 1937, were: J. H. Satterwhite, Lister Ransdell, J. W. McElroy, J. L. Tackett, Ira Kemper; manager, Chester Clayton Roland. Presented by Owen County R.E.C.C. Location of Marker: 8205 Hwy 127 N, Sparta, KY 41086. GPS(38.6339 -84.8490)

John Hammon: Born in Virginia, 1760, John Hammon was a Revolutionary War soldier. He served in the battle of King's Mountain, and was also a defender of Bryan's Station in Kentucky, 1782. Shortly afterwards, Hammon joined Colonel Benjamin Logan's expedition against Indian towns in Ohio. Helped establish Mussel Shoals Baptist Church in 1817; buried in churchyard, 1868. Location of Marker: Mussel Shoals Rd (Ky Hwy 1739) near Mussel Shoals Baptist Church cemetery. 
GPS(38.5215 - 84.7028)

Old New Liberty: Settled before 1800, incorporated 1827. Owen County formed, 1819. "Church on the Twins," organized 1801, first in the county. Now the New Liberty Baptist Church. One of earliest log cabins, built 1806 by John Gayle, stands as part of barn, two miles east. Gayle House, built 1865. For 20 years famous retreat for Kentucky politicians. Torn down, 1920. Union Agricultural and Mechanical Fair, organized in 1859. Old Concord College, started 1867. Used until first high school, 1906. The Owen News stated here, 1868. Location of Marker: Ky 36 and Ky 227 across from New Liberty Baptist Church. 
GPS(38.6161 -84.9065)